Amazing Cars and Drives Car Buyers Guide: Mercedes-Benz AMG S63 Coupe Review
The latest in our series of car reviews is the sleek Mercedes-Benz AMG S63 Coupe. At Amazing Cars and Drives, we have been patiently waiting for the arrival of the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class. After taking the coupe on a test drive, we can confirm that the new model was absolutely worth the wait. Based on the previous S-Class saloon, the new coupe is a two-door affair which does make some compromises on legroom. However, this is compensated by a drive that is dynamic, energetic and fun.
It’s been a while since this series has been on sale, and only one year since the S-Class Coupe received a significant facelift. As part of those 2018 changes, Mercedes introduced a Panamerica-style grille with vertical rungs, as well as an updated infotainment, sports-style bottomless steering wheel and innovative, intuitive, semi-automated self-driving technology.
However, 2019 has seemingly brought more changes for the S-Class Coupe. Perhaps the most obvious of these changes can be seen behind the dashboard, where larger dual screens now seamlessly integrate with the sleek dashboard. High resolution and touch-screen enabled, graphics are beautifully rendered, making a SAT-NAV-guided journey easy, enjoyable and visually appealing.
Overarching all of these brilliant features is the integration of Mercedes’ MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) technology. Loaded with its own intuitive voice assistant technology, the system comes loaded with a range of its own safety, personalisation and assisted driving features, including Traffic Sign Assist, Attention Assist and Parking Assist.
In terms of aesthetics, the inside of the S-Class Coupe is an absolute winner. All buttons and knobs are finished in a brilliant aluminium, with everything else adorned with genuine leather, as well as broad variety of wood, metal and carbon trimmings.
In terms of spacing, the front certainly offers more than the back. The padded front seats are akin to living room armchairs, with useful features such as heating, cooling and massage functions. Whilst the back seats offer slightly less in terms of space, this is compensated by a car that is jam-packed with the best tech features.
Our favourite feature? The customisable ambient interior lighting granted by the new MBUX system – check it out!
- NFC functionality (Near Field Communication)
- Traffic Sign Assist
- Parking Assist
- Surround Camera System
- Exterior temperature gauge
- ECO Stop/Start Function
- Customisable interior ambient lighting system
- Rear centre console
- Lockable glove compartment
- Dual zone automatic climate control
- Child seat recognition sensor
- Ventilated front seats
- Iconic diamond grille with chrome-finished pins
- High-performance LED headlights and tail lamps
- Body coloured bumpers
- Privacy tinted glass
- Rain-sensing windscreen wipers
- Headlight Assist
- 19/20-inch multi-spoke design alloy wheels
- Tyre sealant kit
- Keyless Go comfort pack – S Class
- Warmth comfort pack – S Class
- Front seat memory pack – S Class
- Front seat comfort pack – S Class
- Parking pack – S class
- Air-balance pack – S Class
On the Road
- Suspension settings switch
- Petrol particulate filter
- Alarm system with interior protection and immobiliser
- Remote central locking system